December 2, 2014

STYLE ALERT: Shorter Loc Knots!


Every Thursday on AHOMH's YouTube Channel, natural hair ideas, tips, thoughts, styles, etc. are the topic of discussion. This past Thursday I wanted to show my Thanksgiving hair look, so I talked about the shorter loc knots that I had decided to try out: "Thanksgiving Curls! Trying Out Shorter Loc Knots".




I talked about loc knots in a previous blog post, but I've been wanting to test out a shorter version for the longest time for several reasons: One, just to see if I could do it; two, to see how I'd look with even shorter hair; and three, to see if I could get a longer lasting and more prominent curl.



As I said in the video, I don't think I got very much more curl…and after having it up for about a week now, I think it's safe to say they last about as long. But I did find one important difference in favor of the shorter loc knots! (And it's definitely not in the styling, because that was a nightmare! haha). It's that the curls start higher up on the strands. 



With the normal length that I do, the curls I get when the loc knots are taken down are awesome but they start like midway down my head while leaving the top portion a little flat. With the shorter loc knot, I noticed that I didn't have that flatness problem because the curls started very close to the root of each strand vs. the middle. That's a GREAT improvement. 



In general, I don't think that the inconvenience of the styling while the loc knots are up is worth the higher starting curl, but I do see myself alternating between lengths every now and then.

Have you tried a shorter loc knot length than your norm?

Try it out and share your results!


- "Mo hair"

 
Rahkua Ishakarah

No comments:

Post a Comment