August 5, 2014

NAPPYWOOD WEEKEND: Los Angeles Natural Hair Care Expo


This weekend I had an AMAZING time at the annual Los Angeles Natural Hair Care Expo for NappyWood Weekend. Not only did I meet lots of great people, give a stellar performance singing on the main stage and strutting on the runway, receive some great products to try, and establish some great future connections…but I also saw TONS of cool, healthy, beautiful, natural hair!
__________________________________________________

MY HAIR


As a model I was rocking Melba's Exclusively For You wig and clothing line for the day. Here are some shots of the hair, makeup and wardrobe:

MUA: Richard Marston






I absolutely LOVED the "natural hair" wig and could definitely see myself investing in one to do some photoshoots/shows in for the future. I was amazed at how all of my 36" of locs fit under the cap! I was also amazed at how natural it looked and felt. I got lots of compliments on it from people none the wiser that it wasn't actually mine! My only complaint is that it was pretty uncomfortable after a couple hours of wear because all my hair stuffed in there made it tight….but as we know, sometimes PRETTY HURTS! lol

As a singer, I decided to shed the fabulous wig for my performance a little later that day. I rocked one of my go-to favorites: the high bun, with some fun modifications: 
  • the locs: 
    • my locs are two-strand twisted at the moment. 
    • I did two jumbo flat twists on the back of the hair and pulled them up into a high ponytail.
    • then I rolled 3 separate groups of coils into a bun. 
  • the loose hair:
    • I parted the front of the hair offset from the center
    • the right side of the hair is flat twisted up into the bun (6 full twists and 2 smaller twists)
    • the left side of the hair is two strand twisted and rolled into a mini bun overnight to give it a bit of curl 
    • half of the left side twists is allowed to hang while the other half is 3-strand plaited and pulled across the back of the head and secured by tucking. 
  • materials used:
    • 8 small, black elastic bands to secure the flat twists
    • gel
    • grease
    • water
    • no hair pins/bobby pins were necessary for me but can be used

The Exclusively For You designer let me rock another of her beautiful dresses for the show:

__________________________________________________

MY EXPERIENCE


NappyWood Expo was held at the Hacienda Hotel in El Segundo, CA this year 12pm to 7pm and there were so many great things going on all around. After I was finished with my performance duties for the evening, I did a little networking and met some great people.


We got awesome swag bags with lots of great products that I can't wait to try. I'll report on those in coming weeks!


These earrings were bomb! AND the designer is happily nappy :) I'll feature her and her line, Wild Bliss, in coming weeks.


Don't you just love the complexity of her hair look:


And I want to give a special shoutout to a couple awesome folks who supported Love, Loss, Lies this weekend!

representing the We Can Foundation

representing CDP Films

representing Crescendo Films/King Artistry

representing BaaDal Creations

representing Secret Styling Hair Care Products

representing 90 For Life

By the end of the day I was exhausted and happy! I had a great time and definitely look forward to next year's NappyWood Weekend: Los Angeles Natural Hair Care Expo :)



- "Mo hair"

Rahkua Ishakarah




No comments:

Post a Comment