November 14, 2017

Heat Damage Styling

I'm feeling like this is deja vu. Like, didn't I just go through this heat damage thing? Did I not learn my lesson the first time? Well, I guess not, because here we are again...the land of heat damage & sadness! hahaa
I went to Punta Cana & Atlanta for my birthday at the beginning of last month. It was truly amazing and breath taking. I have unreleased video that will probably go up on my artist page at youtube.com/Rahkua whenever I finish editing it. Anyway, toward the second half of the trip in Atlanta, I let my big sis straighten my hair. This is nothing new. She is who usually straightens it besides the times I've gotten stylists to do it. And she always does an amazing job...this time was no different.


I left it straight for about 2 weeks and did a bantu knotout on it for the 3rd week. After that, I was ready for a wash. I used my new As I Am samples that I got from this year's Nappywood Natural Hair Expo and deep conditioned for like 3 hours praying that my curls reverted back. I had no such luck.

After washing, rinsing, conditioning, sitting, and rinsing again, I could clearly see that my spirals were long gone :( I whipped the limp, straight strands up into bantu knots (cringing as handfuls of hair came out into my fingers and combs), and covered it up for 2 days dreading the reveal.

When I took them down, it was actually quite beautiful. I mean I can definitely tell that my hair is just, not the same, but at least the style looked good. So I have spent the past week trying to come up with styles that will help me disguise the damage and give me some semblance of curl. Although I can no longer make an afro, which makes me immeasurably sad, here are the styles I came up with:


  1. Flat-twisted side bun 




  2. Bantu Knot-out 


  3. Scarf tied on stretched hair 




  4. High bun 


  5. Flat-twist-out 



How do you style your damaged hair?

Should I just chop it all off and start from scratch?

Are there any products you recommend to bounce back from damage?

- "Mo hair"

 
Rahkua Ishakarah

Instagram: @aHeadOfMyHair

DONATE TO MY PROJECT AFRICA CAMPAIGN:

1 comment:

  1. You should also know that virgin brazilian hair uk tend to be more expensive than Asian hair wigs because they last longer and feel softer. For those who still have hair and wear a wig regularly, choose finely woven and virgin brazilian hair uk which will allow for proper airflow to your scalp. A tight wig can cut off circulation to the scalp and result in hair loss. Human hair wigs will ensure that your scalp will be able to "breathe" better than with a brazilian human hair bundles. If you choose a human hair wig, you might want to consider the cost of a few brazilian hair bundles accessories such special shampoos and conditioners, wig stands, travel cases, and styling products. It's more than just a monetary investment. Just like real hair, you will need to put some effort into maintaining the wigs. They also need to be styled after you wash them, unlike lace wigs uk which will retain their style. With a little bit of money, time, and effort, a human hair wig can become a true extension of yourself.

    ReplyDelete