March 3, 2015

The Faux Locs Trend….Offensive???


Recently @naturalhairguru posted this photo on instagram and a whole host of people went in on the subject:



One of my friends saw the post and tagged me asking what I thought about it. I had a LOT to say and
wish I had saved a screenshot of the post because when I checked the page later to record my response, they had deleted the photo! I'm not sure why and I couldn't get a straight answer when I reached out to them about it, but at any rate its gone; so I guess I will just elaborate on my response here.

In a nutshell, NO, I don't think that faux locs are offensive, but think that, of course, they do have the potential to be. (And as last week's Zendaya post shows, have the potential to attract offensive and ignorant feedback.)


When I first learned about people installing "faux locs", I must admit I was a little confused and thought it was probably one of the dumbest things I'd ever heard of…it seemed completely backwards to me to install fake hair to achieve the 'natural' look. How could you get "fake locs"? The phrase seemed to be the antithesis of itself. 



But the more I saw the trend spreading and the more I saw how awesome the faux locs looked on many of its adopters, the more I began to fall in love with not only the look but also the concept. Here is a trend that helps us to continue moving toward the embrace of our natural look. It shows how far our conception of self has come for it to be acceptable and even desirable to get locs…albeit faux ones. It's even more beautiful to me that celebrities have even embraced the trend which will help it spread even quicker…and maybe even lead to ditching the "faux" part of it.



So while there may be some locstars out there who find it offensive, this one is fully behind it! In fact, I've actually been wanting to try out the faux locs myself! Haha…why? Well, it would give me the opportunity to experience having locs all over my head as an adult (vs. the half and half I have now since middle school). That's basically it. I just want to see how I'd look. Maybe call it jumping on the bandwagon, but I think this wagon is one I'm not ashamed to hop right on!



In the end I'm just about being the best you that's possible. If you want to try out every version of yourself, then by all means, experiment. Not ready for the full commitment of locs? Try the fake ones!

Have YOU tried faux locs?

Do you prefer hair faux locs or yarn faux locs?

Do you have "real" locs and find the "fake" ones offensive?

If you have tried faux locs and loved the look, what's stopping you from going all the way!?

Check out "The Faux Loc Trend" on YouTube!


- "Mo hair"

 
Rahkua Ishakarah

Instagram: @aHeadOfMyHair

DONATE TO MY PROJECT AFRICA CAMPAIGN: http://igg.me/at/PALA


1 comment:

  1. Women experiencing hair loss should consult their doctor for an accurate diagnosis of what is causing them to lose hair. Treating the medical conditions like diabetes, can often stop and even reverse hair loss problems. In any case, you can always use celebrity hair pieces and other best products.

    ReplyDelete