March 25, 2014

Fro It Up, Fro It UP…Watch It All Fly Out


People are often amazed when they see me rocking my fro one minute and then long locs the next and many wonder just how I do it…well it's not magic lol…



If you read my post last week, "The Wash", then you got a chance to see my hair in its completely natural/no product/straight from the shower to the camera state. There are no add-ons, just my hair. 

To be quite honest, I'm not entirely sure how the separation happened in general since I've never cut any of it out to create the look; it just sort of happened. My parents locked my hair at a very young age (I always say like 2 or 3 because I'm not sure exactly but I've seen pictures at that age with them) and I'd say maybe around middle school the front started to grow out and I decided to let it continue growing un-groomed rather than twist it back up into locs…following in my big sister's footsteps no doubt. She eventually cut all the locs off but I have continued allowing the dual styles to exist, constantly attempting to come up with new ways to display my hair creativity.

Sometimes though, I just want to rock the fro (or I'm too lazy to style it otherwise).


My fro comes in all sizes, shapes, textures, and consistencies….depending on how its feeling that day! I swear hair has a mind of its own sometimes and will just do whatever it wants, regardless of it's owner's desires. Thankfully sometimes it decides it wants to obey at least some of the time and I can achieve the look I'm going for. The above picture is a drier, more picked out look with less focus on texture and more focus on volume. I'm wearing a beanie to house the locs in back. 

When I want more texture I can prepare for it by styling my hair in single or two-strand twists before I'm closing in on wash day and the result will be more structured, tightly packed coils which I can then loosen as much or as little as I want during the styling: 

 <-- post-wash (no product)

I can also achieve a more curly/fluffy look when I take down my faux-hawked flat twisted style:


I think the horizontal direction of the flat twists paired with the knotting of the center of the "hawk" gives it that look.

So it's really all about the before-style to achieve the different fro textures. 

This is how the fro comes out after taking down a jumbo flat twist style:



You can see the difference between taking down the jumbo flat twists above versus taking down smaller ones like with the fro below:

 

Here is the same fro as above but post-wash:


I usually reserve the fro for more casual, "me" days. But I have rocked the fro once for a fashion show back in college. They added weave to the back of my hair to cover up the locs and integrated it into the natural fro of the front. I'm thinking maybe I should try this again at some point:


What are some of the ways YOU achieve your fro textures?

How long do you let your fro go before a wash and re-new?

Do you think the fro is more accepted now than maybe 5 years ago?


- "Mo hair"

 
Rahkua Ishakarah


No comments:

Post a Comment