April 8, 2014

'Da Kink In My Hair


In 2001, Canadian playwright Trey Anthony, debuted her inspirational and heart wrenching play, "Da Kink In My Hair" at the Toronto Fringe Festival. It has since toured in many different countries and was even adapted into a television series for a few years. 

"I sometimes wondered if I'd even make it through, but I've 
discovered my strength and found the path to my truth"
- 'Da Kink Song 


Ten years after its debut, I starred as Shawnette, in 'Da Kink's debut at New York University's Tisch School of the Arts :) 


Hair has long been a mode of expression, strength, communication, and sometimes even duress for women (yes, probably for men as well but that wasn't really the focus of the play so…to my guy readers you're inferred here don't be offended lol). And the beauty shop for many has been an outlet for releasing all the accumulated stresses of the week with your therapist-stand in beautician. That's what our 'Da Kink showed: A group of strong but tired women who sat in Novelette's chair and she instantly knew their story by touching the hair on their heads. We got our release by sharing our pain. 


The four time NAACP Award winning production (which I ended up co-writing a song for with original Sweet Honey in the Rock member, Carol Maillard) continued its success later even starring great talent like Melanie Fiona, Terry J. Vaughn, and Angie Stone in Atlanta. 

It was such a great experience and I am so happy to have been a part of the encouragement of women (especially black women) to embrace the literal kink in your hair and the metaphorical kinks in your life that attempt to distract you from living in happiness.




- "Mo hair"

 

Rahkua Ishakarah

No comments:

Post a Comment