October 21, 2014

STYLE ALERT: Loc Knots



This is one of my favorites but I don't wear it as often because of the time and effort commitment it takes to achieve. Be prepared to devote like 1.5 - 3 hours on this one!


I love it so much because it allows me to experience having "short" hair without having to cut it off. I tried the look for the first time about 5 or 6 years ago when I saw a classmate rocking the faux cut. I had never seen anything like it and really believed that she had cut her length. She explained the whole process to me and I tried it out for myself the very next chance I got.

When I visited my Mississippi home that summer I tested it out on my mom's locs (which are even longer and thicker than mine!) and it was like an instant age reverser! The short style gave her a more youthful, bouncy look and she continues to use the style. 




More recently, I even tried the style in my brother's hair and it was just as cool and flattering. So guys, you can rock it too! 




I only just recently discovered that the look had a name: loc knots…I'm not sure who came up with that title because I'm not sure it's a very accurate description lol, but I'll use it for consistency sake nonetheless. One of the best things about this style is that when you take it down, it creates cascades of beautifully curly hair! 



I know many naturalocstas (yes, I just made that up lol) who use the look solely for the curl and don't actually consider it a going out style. The way I make mine more of a transition look is by using NO rubberbands on the ends so it looks more natural.

The other great benefit of this style is the get up and go aspect of it. I wrap it up at night and have simply to unwrap it and go the next day, cutting significant time out of the "getting ready for my day" process. It also is perfect for the summer because it gets all that hair off my neck for a cool off without having to resort to an undo.



Love it! I've been wanting to try an even shorter version lately but I have to prepare myself time wise because I'm sure that it will take a LOT longer haha…But be on the lookout for pics of it on my Instagram :)




Have you ever tried the loc knots style?

Do you wear your loc knots out or use it simply as a curl method?

Do you have any loc knot tips!?




- "Mo hair"

 
Rahkua Ishakarah

No comments:

Post a Comment