January 12, 2016

STYLE ALERT: Flatiron Flow


I very rarely flatiron my hair…Probably not even a good 10 times in all of my life. This holiday season though, I got the urge to straighten it for whatever reason and I was quite happy with the results. I would probably do it more often if it weren't so much maintenance and lasted longer. 
The first day, I did it myself. It was pretty kool, but a little poofy as you can see. That 'big hair' aesthetic kind of went with the disco safari look of my outfit that day though so I didn't really mind the poofiness.

Now, of course, whenever I wear my hair like this, I ALWAYS get the "did you cut it?!" question…even though I literally started this blog to address that question AND have a post already about it (http://aheadofmyhair.blogspot.com/2014/10/lets-set-record-straight.html). But alas, it remains quite magical and mysterious to some, so I find myself still explaining. Haha, I don't really mind. 
NOPE. I did not cut my hair. The front of my hair is not locked but I usually keep it twisted up in some form or fashion to blend well with the locks. When I wear it straight like this, or in a fro, I usually just throw my locks in a hat at the back of my head. I guess I have a lot of hair in the front because you can't see the hat at all in this picture…It's back there though!
The mod look of my wardrobe the next day fit right in with how I pulled my hair back into another hat and went for a more bob look. 
The bob was perfect for my outfit but it wasn't the only reason I wore it like that. I didn't clip the ends of my hair when I straightened it so I didn't like how unkempt it was looking and I'm not used to having all that hair in my face so pulling the ends up and out of the way was the perfect solution. I killed three birds with one stone!
When I got back to my sister's house that evening, she wanted to play baby doll with my hair and I was along for the ride! I allowed her to flatiron it the correct way (I just did whatever seemed right when I did it) and clip my ends so it could be healthier. The result: 

I think it looks great now…but while she was doing it, it actually took some getting used to…I feel like my face looks different or something with straight hair.

My niece's birthday dinner was a couple days later so I let my sis curl it for a little pizzaz :) I actually didn't do a hat like all the other days. Instead, I swooped it all to one side and put my braided locs into a low side bun. Here are the before and after curls: 
Then I just let it be when I left a couple days later to return to LA after an awesome time at home in Mississippi with my friends and family. I threw on a hoodie, tights, and boots for the 3 hour drive to Memphis and 8 hour plane journey (including layovers and delays) back to Los Angeles. The braided locs are just hanging down inside the hood while the front hair is half shielded by the hood.
Now that I'm back in LA I haven't gotten motivated to do something to it yet so I just sort of had it pent up or loose for the weekend recuperating in the house.
I went back to the hat Monday morning and put some flat twists on the side. I'll probably wash it this evening though and back to the norm!

GOT ANY QUESTIONS!? Feel free to drop me a line down in the comments below!

- "Mo hair"

 
Rahkua Ishakarah

Instagram: @aHeadOfMyHair

DONATE TO MY PROJECT AFRICA CAMPAIGN:


No comments:

Post a Comment