August 11, 2016

AHOMH QUESTIONS: Should I lock!?

 I was recently contacted on Facebook with questions/advice inquiries by someone looking to lock her hair. I just wanted to share the brief, yet interesting and informative interaction for any of you who may be having similar thoughts and inquiries! Hopefully you find it useful and can pass it along to others who may as well :)

Catherine: Hey Rahkua! I'm heavily considering getting locs. I've actually wanted them since I was younger, but I've always been scared of the commitment and know that there
was "no return" (except cutting off all your hair). Welp, I've been doing a lot of research and found that not to be true. I'm also at the point to where I'm about 80% confident in the decision to loc regardless of how I may look during the transition and whether I'll be able to get jobs and what not. Any who, I wrote this "essay" to ask a few questions:
  1.  How do you start your locs? I know you were pretty young. 
  2. How does the maintenance effect you since you're so busy?
  3. Are there any tips, words of advice/encouragement, downfalls, etc. that you would like to share?
ME: Hey Catherine :) YES, locs are a commitment as with any new/big change and I'm excited for you to embark on this new step in your hair journey! And cutting off all your hair is actually not the only option for locstars these days: you could grow it out (without twisting) and then chop, kind of like transitioning from a perm; or you could comb it out (which takes LOTS of time and arm strength lol, but is possible); or you could just rock a wig on top of them hahaha....whatever your method, there are options. Hopefully I can answer your questions helpfully and guide you a bit as you ultimately decide what to do with your head of hair!
  1.  I actually didn't start my locs...my parents started them when I was a toddler. All the work was done for me essentially lol. But I would suggest either going to a professional, or watching some YouTube vids and just do it yourself! A lot of people are starting them with two-strand twists these days. (Also, my mom is a loctician if you'd like to contact her to start them.)
  2.  Maintenance is actually lower than you might think. Most days I can just get up and go. If I wasn't so particular and antsy about styling, I could really go like a month without redoing my hair at all..and sometimes I do! lol...It just really all depends on your own styling desires and routine...once you get the hang of it. I've had PLENTY of practice at this point, but I'm sure it is probably a lot more maintenance getting it started. But in general, I feel locs are much LESS maintenance than any other style...other than being bald, of course.
  3. I would say, do whatever makes you feel happy/comfortable/confident with your self image. Ultimately, it is your choice and I'm sure whatever you go with will be great, as long as you are confident in your decision. Don't be afraid to try something new!
If you want to know a little more about my experience or have other questions about my hair journey, styling tips, my hair thoughts, etc... you check out my natural hair blog: www.aheadofmyhair.blogspot.com and youtube vlog: www.youtube.com/RahkuaAheadOfMyHair. :)

and if you don't mind, I would love to post your questions/my answers on my blog!?


Of course! Thank you so much ☺️!
no probs 🙂 and thnx

If you have any questions yourself, just send em my way! Drop a comment below :)

 
- "Mo hair"

 
Rahkua Ishakarah

Instagram: @aHeadOfMyHair

DONATE TO MY PROJECT AFRICA CAMPAIGN:



No comments:

Post a Comment