February 4, 2014

What!? You Wanna Touch My Hair… -_-



As my use of Kat William's perturbed face might suggest, most of us (us being interpreted however you want…) don't like when people touch our hair. I mean really, what is the fascination with invading someone else's personal space and introducing your "foreign bodies" to my Head of Hair???

So, picture this…


I've just finished using the ladies room (ok, maybe skip over that part of the vision…). I dry my hands and exit the first door; before leaving the second door I realize that I left the key so double back for it where I am met by a large, older white woman. As she turns off the faucet and turns to me, the excitement in her face is palpable. She rushes to me, dripping hands and all and proceeds to stroke my locs, exclaiming "wow your hair is so beautiful"! "It's just so unique, hehe". She waddles out of the restroom beaming, leaving me stunned, speechless, and disgusted.

There is just so much wrong with that scenario just described…the first of which being that it actually happened to me! -_- Just for the record USING MY HAIR AS A WIPE RAG, NOT OKAY. 

I'm used to people asking to touch my hair. It's just one of those things you have to get used to or you'll drive yourself crazy. Most of the time I smile politely and force out a "sure" as they tug, twirl, and pinch with glee. From time to time I hold out a strand that they pluck gingerly and move on. Every so often, I just flat out say, "NO"….in my most polite "get away from me now" voice. 

It's not that I don't appreciate the enthusiasm, believe me, it's great that you can look at my hair and find beauty in a style that doesn't conform to the societal norm to which we've become accustomed. But try not to disrespect and disregard my personal space in the midst of your admiration right??



I don't know, maybe i'm reading too much into it…being too sensitive…what do you think?

What's YOUR worst "Don't touch my hair" story?? 



- "Mo hair"


Rahkua Ishakarah

1 comment:

  1. I don't really have an issue if you ask...but it also depends on how you approach me. If I get the feeling that you want to "pat" my hair like I am some kind of pet...then no thank you! If it is out of true curiosity then I am alright with it. I think the most annoying incident I had was at a bar with friends. A guy (maybe 20 years old) was giving me the "hey, how you doing" look...(I am older than 20 *cough*) so I ignore. I felt him walking over closer so I turn away only to feel a hand stroke my hair! My head almost does a 180. Him smiling ear to ear says "Wild natural hair drives me crazy! I love a woman with wild natural hair...can I buy you a drink". I was in shock lol. First because some 20 year old was bold enough to touch my hair just like that and second that he used a "line" like that. (I did not accept and told him he's be better not touching people's hair and talking to women his own age.)

    ReplyDelete