May 13, 2014

STYLE ALERT: Pigtails

A simple to achieve, cute, and quick hairdo is PIGTAILS :) 

I really like this "blast to the past" style and it can be dressed up, funky, or cutesy… Here's an example from an interview I did wearing some funky pigtails with a twist: I used fishtail braid technique instead of a regular 3 strand plait.



As I was writing this post I thought, why the heck are they called pigtails? I went to my good friend Wikipedia and read a little! 

The name is based on the short, thin, kinked tail of a pig
referring to the way a short, tight braid may stand out from the scalp 
through asymmetric tension of the weaving

Needless to say, I was a little disappointed by the inefficacy of the explanation haha…but I'm still 'digging the do'.


And I guess for some reason I think the red "nerd glasses" are a great pairing with the style because here it is again in a casual day headed to the airport. 



FOUR SIMPLE STEPS FOR PIGTAILS 

1. part hair into two equal sections
2. take the first section and braid it to the end (click the link for 5 different braid techniques)
3. secure the end with a hair tie
4. repeats steps 2 and 3 on the other section

OPTIONAL: instead of braiding all the hair into the two equal sections, leave out some hair in the front for a bang either to the front or to either side. 

You can wear your pigtails to the back or to the front or even one to the back one to the front!


Do you like to wear your hair in pigtails?

What other styles would you like to see?


- "Mo hair"

 
Rahkua Ishakarah


No comments:

Post a Comment