June 10, 2014

STYLE ALERT: Ponytail


A couple weeks ago I posted, STYLE ALERT: Pigtails to give a quick and easy style that worked for different occasions. This week's follow-up to that is the ponytail.


Much like it's counterpart (the pigtail) the ponytail draws it's name from the animal it is named for…though I think the latter's description is a little more accurate in its resemblance than the former haha.

"It gets its name from its resemblance to the undocked tail of a horse or pony."


The ponytail is an easy, go-to hairstyle that can be dressed up or just worn everyday. I'm sure everyone knows the simple mechanics of it, but I have different examples pictured for how it can be more than a "simple ponytail" and I switch up the look of the front to give it a different feel for different occasions.


TWO SIMPLE STEPS FOR PONYTAILS

1. Decide what you want to do with the front. 
*  Pictured above, I used 11 simple flat twists to to the back stopping at the midway point at my head.
* Pictured below, I used the two-strand twist method on the front and rolled it up at night so they would be a bit curly when released from the roll. Some of the strands are pulled loosely into the ponytail and some is left to free fall as front/side bangs.
*Also pictured (first one after the title pic), I did one strand twists/baby locks and rolled to set in place overnight. They can be undone by comb out and wash.

2. Pull some or all of the hair back into a single bunch of hair
* secure the hair in place with a hair tie. 
* the placement on the head can vary: side, middle, high on top of head, back of the head, or down toward the base of the head.



So there you have it! I have pictured below where I've made the ponytail work as a dressier style and even rocked it for a performance!











Have you ever rocked the ponytail as a dressy style or do you reserve it for a more casual look?

What STYLE ALERT would you like to see next!?

- "Mo hair"

 
Rahkua Ishakarah


No comments:

Post a Comment