November 11, 2014

48 Hour Stage Show…and My Thoughts on "NORMAL"


This weekend I got a chance to act on stage after not having done so for a long while. I LOVE the stage, and I really missed that adrenaline rush and satisfaction you get from doing a play. I know, I know, I'm on stage all the time with my singing, but it's a really big difference between the two despite all the similarities.


This show was particularly interesting. It was called the 48 Hour Stage Show. And we literally had 48 hours (actually less) to do EVERYTHING that goes along with putting up a show. The actors met the producers, writers, other actors, etc.; got the script; learned/rehearsed the script; brought in props, costume, and great "can do" attitudes; to put up a really amazing and worthwhile show Sunday evening…all in less than a full weekend. Not to mention, it was about EIGHT different mini shows, so each actor has the potential to be learning multiple scripts for performance day. It's a recipe for stress and overwhelm, but the result was memorable experiences, and a great production. 



What does this have to do with hair!? Well I'm getting there, haha.

So I found myself thinking about the subject of hair and character transformation as I picked out wardrobe and makeup choices the night before the show. It was a bit difficult to decide on a hairstyle because I was playing 3 totally different characters, but they were all sort of "normal" people with - in my casting mind's head - "normal" hair.

I don't have normal hair. 

I never have, and I'm A ok with that. In fact, I prefer it. But admittedly, it's not so helpful when you're attempting to transform into these characters that have nothing to do with yourself. When you "become a character" your individual TALENT is what matters…not your individuality. So I got to thinking about myself as an actress coming into the casting room of professional settings for the major networks, and I can picture the potential discrimination that would disallow me to be cast for the roles…And it's not necessarily a malicious thing. I mean, I get it, they need people who can transform into these characters the writers are creating, most of which don't have 36 inch natural, locked hair. 

So I grappled with a couple questions Saturday night and Sunday morning as I tried to settle on a style. Should I leave it down or do a simple bun in an attempt to blend in as much as possible? Or do I just continue my creative and unique style trend that I gravitate toward, attempting to make it fit the situation of each character I was given? I ended up choosing the latter option, and although things went wonderfully and I was complimented on my overall performance, I can't help but to just think about that decision and the implications it has for the consciousness of less informed and more hair discriminatory individuals out in the casting world.

We can make the argument, of course, that this standard needs to change; that the norm SHOULD be people with their natural hair embracing all the glorious things that it can do. But the REALITY is that it is not currently the case in our "normal" society, thus, it will definitely be more difficult for me to book roles for productions that are attempting to emulate and reflect our current "normal" society in whatever creative script plot lines they've chosen. 



I'd really love to know y'alls thoughts on this issue. 

Does it matter what type of hair you have?

Should anybody just be "blindly" cast in roles to give a "fair chance" or does typecasting have some merit when it comes to creating believable characters in "real world" situations in these shows?


There is usually more flexibility in stage productions that television/film…what are your thoughts on that reality?




- "Mo hair"

 
Rahkua Ishakarah



Check out more on the 48Hour Stage Show:
Facebook: 48 Hour Stage
Twitter: @48HrStage
Instagram: @48HourStage

No comments:

Post a Comment