March 10, 2015

STYLE ALERT: Braided Mickey Mouse Buns


I went to a little mixer last weekend and tried out these cute mickey mouse buns. I've done a similar look before but this one is a little more intricate and it turned out a lot better, so I decided to share the style for this week's STYLE ALERT! :) 



I have the front of my hair done in an intricate pattern of flat twists lying horizontally and vertically to frame my face and square out the look. Then I parted the locks horizontally down the middle and left the bottom half hanging. I usually gravitate toward a patterned/curly flow when I leave the locks out but this time I just let them stay straight. There is a little bit of a natural wave going on though. 

For the top half of the horizontally parted locks I vertically parted it into two sides. I gathered each side into its own section integrating the loose ends of the flat twists from my front into regular three strand plaits. I then bunned those plaits tucking the ends under. There was no need for any hair bands or bobby pins. I always love that. 




And the result was these awesome Mickey Mouse style buns! I really loved the style and rocked it for a couple days. I think it gives off a little Asian flair or something too…what do you think?


STYLE TIP: Braiding the sections before putting them into the bun give a nice texture, help the buns stay put easier without hair pins, AND makes next day re-creation easier if you don't want to keep the bun up when sleeping!

Show me your bun variations!

Do you always find it necessary to use hair pins with updos?

How do you maintain your buns through the night?


- "Mo hair"

 
Rahkua Ishakarah

Instagram: @aHeadOfMyHair

DONATE TO MY PROJECT AFRICA CAMPAIGN: http://igg.me/at/PALA

No comments:

Post a Comment