October 2, 2018

Natural Hair Pixie Fail

So it has been a couple months since the big natural chop and I can admit that I am a little frustrated with the current stage of my hair. I'm completely down from the "I'm loving it" phase and starting to move to the opposite spectrum unfortunately. 
I just celebrated another revolution around the sun (Happy Birthday to me!) and wanted to try some new things with my hair. I bought a thick brush and tried out this style for the Beyonce concert:
The baby fro is really not doing it for me, so I decided to try a pixie look.  Unfortunately, I didn't realize that those cute little cuts have relaxer as a main step haha. I tried straightening it, but was a big giant fail. I won't show all the pics because they're too terrible, but here's a glimpse:
When I realized it wasn't as simple as merely grabbing a flat iron, I still didn't want to give up. So I grabbed a huge jar of eco-styling gel and foam/mousse and slathered it all on my head. I didn't quite achieve the cute pixie I was looking for, but I instead chose to embrace the slick down look.
The slick didn't hold that well next day but it wasn't a terrible transition a little dried out. 
I still wasn't quite satisfied, so I decided to try again. The second time, I achieved better results....maybe it was a combination of allowing it to dry, tying it down overnight, and using a bit more gel. 
Though cute, the aftermath is a bit concerning. It's troubling that only a couple months in, I already heat damaged my hair again. Major face palm. 
Hopefully the damage isn't too permanent...but I think I'll preempt the effects by just cutting it off again. Oh the twists and turns in this head of hair!

Have you ever tried a relaxer-free pixie style?

What products did you use?

- "Mo hair"

 
Rahkua Ishakarah

Instagram: @aHeadOfMyHair

SUBSCRIBE to my mailing list at iHEARTrahkua@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment