January 20, 2015

MLK Day Parade


Yesterday culminated the 3-day weekend in celebration of a national holiday for the great activist, orator, and leader Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Every year, a parade is held in his honor that runs from MLK and Figueroa streets to the historic Leimert Park with thousands of people cheering and riding and walking and waving. 



Unfortunately,
I learned about the event too late last year, but this year, not only was I able to attend the parade, I was actually invited to join the parade! I sat waving to and celebrating with the people as representative of the We Can Foundation - dedicated to promoting education; Nappywood - advocating for natural hair "conversion" and awareness; and of course of Rahkua - bumping Love, Loss, Lies in the car, donning my monikered t-shirt, album in hand. 



I saw tons of people out celebrating and had a lot of fun putting some of the smiles on their faces. AND at each of the stops along the parade route, we did a mini hair show where I strutted the "runway" displaying the beauty of my natural hair adorned by an African printed headdress. It was pretty awesome. 




The parade was kind of long (I was there from 9am until 4pm) but all in all I had a great time, met and reconnected with some awesome people, and most importantly, set aside time to commemorate such an historical and veritable figure. 










HAPPY KING DAY!

Were you able to attend the parade in your town?
How did you celebrate you MLK Day off?

- "Mo hair"

 
Rahkua Ishakarah

Instagram: @aHeadOfMyHair

No comments:

Post a Comment