January 6, 2015

PRODUCT REVIEW: Shine 'n Jam™


I wrote about an awesome hair expo I went to a couple months ago and promised to review a couple of the products that I received in the swag bag. I didn't review as many of them as I originally thought I would because I just didn't like the products - either what they did to my hair, how they made it feel, or how they made it look. I just didn't want to give energy and time to writing about products that I personally found useless. 

I did discover a couple that have proved very useful and worthwhile to discuss though. One of which being the Shine 'n Jam products. They came in these cute little circle packets including: 


  • Shine 'n Jam™Silk Edges with Olive Oil (ampro® PRO STYL®)
  • Shine 'n Jam™Conditioning Gel Extra Hold (ampro® PRO STYL®)
  • Shine 'n Jam™Conditioning Gel Regular Hold ampro® PRO STYL®)

I haven't used the Regular Hold gel yet but I didn't find very much difference between the Silk Edges and the Extra Hold gel. The consistency of the Silk Edges is a little bit thicker but they operated on my hair virtually the same. 

I never used to really pay much attention to my "edges" but since I discovered the edges gels a couple months ago in the swag bag and in two of my sisters' staple products, I've started to give my edges a little bit more love! You can really see the difference between the "without edge control" hair and with some applied. Of course I have some examples for you below:

BEFORE: 



AFTER: 




So in these photos I'm wearing a very simple double side bun style. I didn't have the time to get fancy with my unlocked hair up front so I just did two large horizontal flat twists parted down the center. The top two photos show how it looked when I finished the style. Then in the bottom 3 photos you can see, from different angles, how the Shine 'n Jam™really polished the look. 

I had the opportunity to demonstrate the efficacy of the products' polishing through these pictures below employing a completely different style: 

BEFORE:



AFTER: 


AFTER SCARF:






This style was a nice multi-twist mid bun on the locs and half flat vertical flat twist/half two-stand twist bang for the unlocked hair. The photos show how it looks before any of the edge product was applied, after the product was applied, and finally after the hairdo was tied up with a scarf and allowed to set for about 20-30 minutes. Don't worry, the line on my forehead from the hair tie disappears after about 10-15 minutes and a little gentle massaging!

So as you can see, the Shine 'n Jam™really made a difference in the final look. It's definitely not a total necessity but I do think that it makes the final style look nicer so I have now added it to my hair routine more often than not.

Which way do you prefer?

Do you use an "edges" product? 

If so, do any particular brands work best for you?

- "Mo hair"


 
Rahkua Ishakarah

Instagram: @aHeadOfMyHair



No comments:

Post a Comment