January 13, 2015

Kids at Kamp! Discovering Natural Hair...


Over winter break, I taught at a camp for kids where they got to play and do enrichment activities with us while their parents were hard at work. The school system here gave the children from December 19th all the way until January 12 for vacation. That's a LONG time! But luckily I was there to help! Hahaha...

Anyway, so I usually do my hair in curls for the holidays. In general I love the aesthetic, but the bouncy look always makes me especially happy and feel like I fit in with the cheerful spirit around this time of year. :) Thus, I had a great "loc knot out" going on when I came to teach the kids this past week at camp. 

THEY WENT CRAZY OVER MY HAIR!

It was actually really funny to see
their reaction to my hair and the fact that it was real. They LOVED the curls and were bent on figuring out how exactly I achieved the feat. And they all wanted to touch it…multiples of germy little kid hands all over my hair. (Lol, I love kids, but you've got to admit they aren't so keen on the hygiene and cleanliness department). I tolerated the touching to an extent until it started to get annoying and I'd tell them to stop; but I was more than happy to answer their questions and educate them on what dreadlocks are and that it actually is all my own real hair that grows out of my head and naturally stays together from just twisting it up. They were astounded.

It thrilled me to see them so excited about my natural hair in a world that hasn't quite accepted it fully just yet. It gives me so much hope for the future and I'm so glad to be a part of the educating and exposure process for our future generation of leaders who will have the power to transform the acceptance levels and beauty standards of our society. 

YAY FOR NATURAL HAIR! I feel like this week was such a win!



Funny kid quote:
"You're not a teacher, you're a spy! You don't smell like a 
teacher…they smell like pencils and apples and notebooks"

Have you ever had experiences with kids "discovering" your hair?

Share one of your recent cultural education experiences with children!

Do any teachers out there have issues with keeping the kids from touching your hair?


- "Mo hair"

 
Rahkua Ishakarah

Instagram: @aHeadOfMyHair

No comments:

Post a Comment