January 27, 2015

Loc Retwisting Session


I had the privilege of working with an awesome client today with some beautiful fire red natural hair!  She wanted me to retwist her newly forming locs and i was happy to take on the task.

She texted me the night before in a mini panic because she had decided to wash it the night before and felt she'd ruined all the hard work of her initial installation. It was her first time washing it since getting started 9 weeks ago so
she thought it'd be fine.  She has a pretty fine hair grade so most of her baby locs did come unraveled but I reassured her that it was totally fine and definitely not unusual. She might have to find washing alternatives in these beginning stages but in general patience is the key factor. 

So yesterday i came over to get those kinks and curls tamed into twists and twirls!

Here's a before picture:


Her hair was pretty easy to work with and it only took me a little less than an hour and a half.  Subsequent retwists will take even less time than that. I did the twisting in sections, making a small bun with each finished set to allow the locs to set in place and to reduce shrinkage. The were about 5/6 buns when i finished.  I used the finger twisting method because I prefer the look of the finished loc and its just easiest for me.

The washing knocked out a lot of the individual stands but I still had a good idea of the pieces... I had to combine some pieces though because they were a little too thin for the look the client desired from who she had doing it before.

Here's what it looked like when I was all done!


I don't really like using heat so I didn't stick her under a dryer. Instead she'll just keep the mini buns up today (another plus for the buns since they can pass for an actual style) and just wrap it up tonight. When she takes it down tomorrow she'll have some nice and curly baby locs! 


Share your starter locs pictures with AHOMH!

Leave a comment below or hashtag me on IG #AHOMHairStarterLocs

Do you have any loc installation horror stories?

- "Mo hair"

 
Rahkua Ishakarah

Instagram: @aHeadOfMyHair

No comments:

Post a Comment