February 17, 2015

Be My Valentine!?

Love is patient, love is kind.

I LOVE Valentine's Day. I blame it on my Libran romanticism and sentimentality  but who knows…and who really cares, because I think it's awesome!



I often hear the complaint (from cynics everywhere, haha) that V-Day is dumb and shouldn't be considered a holiday because you shouldn't wait for one day out of the year to start showing someone love. They're missing the point. Valentine's Day, for me anyway, is not about choosing one day out of the year to show love; it's about
choosing a day that commemorates the beauty and vibrance of love. It's about celebrating love's very existence and it's inception in your relationship (whether that be romantic, familial, friendly, etc.). I think of it in the same way that a birthday isn't one day to show that you have life, but a day to celebrate the the inception of that life. 
"4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 NIV
This Valentine's Day for me was all about the love I have for ME! :) Sometimes we can get caught up in the hearts and chocolate and "boo-ed up" pictures on Instagram but I encourage you not to forget to LOVE YOURSELF. A lot of singles get down on Valentine's Day too because they feel they don't have it to share with anyone…because they are forgetting a VERY important person who should be the recipient of that love also, themselves. 


This is my 3rd year spending Valentine's Day in Los Angeles and each year has been something different. The first year I was booked to sing for a V-Day show and learned a whole set of awesome love themed music. Last year, I went on a date for dinner and drinks with an old friend from college who happened to be in town. This year I decided I wanted to spend some quality time with myself. I went to see 50 Shades of Grey; I did some exploring and networking at the Pan African Art and Film Festival; I read my weekly women's devotional; and I made myself an amazing dinner, successfully making sushi for the first time. I had the chocolate and all that too from gifts, but it was nice to unplug for a bit and just give myself some due restoration and love. 

Who knows what the next year will have in store for my V-day!

OH, yes! The hair! Hahaha, I almost forgot…


I tried out a cool little beehive type do for my V-Day hair. Last year I wore it down so I switched it up with an updo this time. I had just washed my hair two days before and was being lazy with the styling so decided not to spend my usual hour on twisting up the front unlocked part of my hair. Instead, I properly lubricated it then two strand twisted all of my locs (Well maybe more than two strands, lol, but you get the idea). Then I just started to wrap the twists around and around my head atop each other, covering the unlocked, unstyled front part in the process. The result was this awesome updo you see above. It was really quick and low maintenance. Since I got so many compliments on it, I've actually kept it up since then. Look out for the video AHOMH Style Alert this Thursday on Rahkua aHeadOfMyHair YouTube! :)


I also did some festive "Love Nails" for the holiday:



How did you spend YOUR Valentine's Day?

When is the last time you took yourself on a date for some "me time"?


What's your favorite thing about V-Day?




- "Mo hair"

 
Rahkua Ishakarah

Instagram: @aHeadOfMyHair

DONATE TO MY PROJECT AFRICA CAMPAIGN: http://igg.me/at/PALA

No comments:

Post a Comment