February 3, 2015

STYE TUTORIAL: Triple Braided Crown

This weekend I did a show at Universal City Walk's "Infusion Lounge", performing for a fellow loclistas bday concert. It was SO much fun and in addition to all the "Wow, I loved that song!" that I got, there was also a lot of "Your hair looks amazing!" :) So much so that I rocked it the next day for Superbowl Sunday and decided to write this post about the simple to achieve, relatively low maintenance style.

It's funny how often I discover new styles when it's time for some loc maintenance love! It's because
I'm trying to figure out ways to postpone the retwist process by camouflaging the need for it by using a style. Braiding is usually a formidable solution.

Only 5 steps!

Here's what you'll need:

  • 3-5 bobby pins (optional)
  • product (optional)


  1. So when I was prepping my hair I started by just putting my hair into 4 arbitrarily sized braids.

Although the sizing isn't a big deal, try to keep it medium/large width.

2. Next, take the braid from the bottom/back and bring it around the top of your forehead to make the first layer of the crown. This will also establish the stability of the rest of the style.
 You can use a bobby pin to secure it if necessary or just use the next braid piece to hold it down in place when you start the next wrap.

3. I made one of the braids smaller than the others so that's the piece that I wrapped next. It helped me to secure my first large braid of the crown and establish a foundation for my other braid pieces. It won't really be seen though.

4. Next, will be doing the second crown layer. Again I started with the bottom/back piece (on the other side) and wrapped it atop the first layer. You probably need a bobby pin to secure it or try tucking it into that smaller foundation braid you wrapped in the 3rd step. 

5. Finally, take the last braid and form the final layer of the 3 braid crown. Again, a bobby pin will probably be necessary to secure the layer. 

When I recreated the look the next day, I didn't use any pins, but the layers of the crown were more intwined because they were secured by tucking... so if you want more discrete layers for the crown I'd suggest using pins. 

After I got all the pieces up, I wrapped it with my scarf to flatten out the crown and any loose strands as much as possible. Because the style is easy to recreate I took down the layers at night before wrapping it with my scarf. Leaving it up would be too uncomfortable to sleep on. 

Here's the final look from different angles:




The video tutorial will be up this Thursday on Rahkua aHeadOfMy Hair YouTube Channel so you can check it out there and don't forget to subscribe and tune in every Thursday for new video releases!


What style would you like to see next?
How did your triple braided crown turn out?

- "Mo hair"

 
Rahkua Ishakarah

Instagram: @aHeadOfMyHair






No comments:

Post a Comment