March 22, 2017

Bye Felicia!

I Love doing a braid out. It makes my hair look so healthy and lustrous and the crinkles are cool lol. I normally do a middle part and let the crinkle fro fly out to the sides as it wishes :)

The preparation process is pretty simple:

  • I always wash and condition my hair first so that it can be clean and damp when I start the style. 
  • Then I detangle (gosh I hate detangling!). I mostly let it air dry and pat out excess water with my towel. 
  • After detangling I add in my products. Lately I've been using a combination of olive oil, coconut oil, Cantu leave-in conditioner, and Softee Indian Hemp grease. 
  • Next, I part my hair into about 6-8 different sections, braiding those sections up as I go along. 
  • Then, I let it air dry more so I won't wet up my pillow (I usually do my hair around bedtime) before tying it up with my purple scarf and just throwing my bonnet on over that for a little added protection. 
 These pics are hilarious to me because it makes me think of the infamous "Felicia" from the movie Friday who wore here hair in simple plaits all over her head.
In the morning I prep my fingers with coconut or olive oil and undo the braids carefully. I finger comb through the hair and fluff it in places where i want it to be bigger. The number and thickness of the braids also helps determine the shape. Here's the result:

I've tried this on my straightened hair as well and it comes out even more airy and lustrous. This is kind of a hassle when it's windy out though! I threw on a hat the first day and left it fro the next:


And that's it! Its a simple style and I think it's great for the growth process. If I don't have anywhere to be I'll leave the braids in a couple days (like over a weekend) and the crinkles last a lot longer. 

Tag @aheadofmyhair in YOUR favorite braid out pics!


Rahkua Ishakarah

Instagram: @aHeadOfMyHair

SUBSCRIBE to my mailing list at iHEARTrahkua@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment